Huaraz is known for the beautiful trekkings you can do. In only one day you can visit with tours the beautiful Laguna Parón, Laguna 69 and Chavín de Huántar, but also Laguna Churup all alone. Here are the details of each hike we did.
Parón is the biggest lake of the White Cordillera. Its fantastic color comes from the minerals and microorganisms present in the water. We took a tour to go there, as there is no public transport to go up there.
- 8h: Meeting point at the office
- 8h30: Leaving Huaraz from an other office
- 9h30: Ice-cream break in Carhuaz (30min)
- 10h45: Caraz – shitty road
- 11h15: Community entrance (S/5)
- 12h20: Laguna Paron 4176m
- 12h40: Mirador 4200m 25min
- 14h30: Leaving
- 18h: Back to Huaraz (they left us on calle Jr San Martin, in front of Cesars Tours)
Note: We took a tour (40 soles) and paid the entrance 5 soles.
We took a colectivo from avenida Agustin Gamata, in front of Ursa gaz station (S/10 one way). It left us at Pitec to start our trek.
- 9h: Colectivo
- 10h: Pitec (3856m)
- 10h40: Entrance of the parc (S/30, or S/60 for 3 days)
- 12h20: Mirador (4500m)
- 14h: Leaving the laguna
- 15h30: Back to Pitec where a colectivo was waiting other persons to go back to Huaraz
- 16h: Back to Huaraz
Difficulty: This trek is not one for practice as mentioned sometimes. You need to have a certain condition as it’s 2h climbing 600m+. You have 2 ways to go up there: we started by the Mirador and ended by the second one following the side of the waterfall where you have chains to help you going down.
Laguna 69 is one of the most beautiful of the region. You will cross a beautiful valley and will see there Huascaran Sur, the highest mountain of Peru, with 6768m high.
- 5h: Must be ready
- 5h25: Bus arrive at the hotel
- 6h30: Shitty road from Yungay
- 7h30: 30min breakfast break (15soles)
- 8h10: Parc entrance (S/30, or S/60 for 3 days)
- 8h40: 5min break in Laguna Chinchan Cocha (3850m)
- 9h: Start of the trek (3895m)
- 11h45: Arrival at Lake 69
- 12h50: Start the way back
- 15h: Back at the bus
- 18h30: Back to Huaraz
Difficulty: This 7km trek was to me easier than Churup.
Note: We took a tour from Huaraz (S/40) as it’s complicated to go there by bus or colectivo.
Chavín de Huántar
Chavin has been a ceremonial center from 1500 to 200 BC. You can visit there only one galery of the 26 built for initiation purpose. In the same tour you will also do a quick stop to Laguna Qerococha and visit Chavin museum.
- 8h45: Meeting at the agency
- 9h15: Leaving Huaraz
- 10h: 20min break
- 11h: 10min at Querococha lake
- 12h30: Arriving in Chavin (S/15)
- 14h20: End of site
- 14h45: Museum
- 15h20: End of museum
- 15h30: Lunch break
- 17h: Departure
- 19h30: Arrival at Huaraz
Note: The entrance of the site is 15 soles per person, and we paid the tour 40 soles.